Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hakama-Style Pants and a Link to a Hakama Pattern

These pants from Shopbop are amazing. They are a "modern" version of Japanese hakama! Even though the description doesn't even mention hakama, the pants have pleats, a large belt that ties in the front, and a visually high back that mimics that back of a tied-up hakama.

Front and Back Views

If you're not familiar with hakama -- traditional Japanese pants worn over kimono -- here are some images of hakama from Folkwear to give you an idea of how they look.


What do you think? Do you notice the similarities? Have you ever had the chance to wear hakama?

On a little side note, that Folkwear hakama pattern I linked to is a pattern I purchased to make hakama for my husband (with my mother's help -- I'm not that skilled!!). They turned out great, although we made them a bit too long. :) Folkwear's historical clothing patterns are fantastic -- I highly recommend them!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those pants are so cool! They do resemble hakama, but such a cool update. Thanks for your post! We are looking at making a traditional hakama from Folkwear too.

    ReplyDelete